Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's My Birthday and I'll Cry If I Want To

Today's my 20th birthday, and I end up in tears. Don't get me wrong, it was a great day. I got to see my family and I got to see Darren last night. However, a discussion I had with my mom took a turn for the depressing. Let me give you some background information first.
When Darren and I first started going out, my mom freaked about it. She was against it and made sure I knew about it. As time went by, she got used to the idea of us together and has become supportive of it. She even is helping out with some things for his senior prom because his parents aren't helping him out in any way with it (what they have against prom, I have no idea).
Well, yesterday I came home from school for my birthday and Easter, and my mom was asking about his mission. I've given the current update about it and how it will be in terms of communication when he's gone. Then, she and I got into what will happen with our relationship while he's gone. Pretty much there are two options: stay his girlfriend or be only his best friend but still communicate with him. I think with talking with my mom, I made it sound like that I'm going to just be friends with him while he's gone. My mom thinks I'm making the right decision for both of us, but while texting to her about it today when I returned to school, I'm not so sure if it is. I mean, could I break his heart when we have plans for marriage and our future when he comes back? The thought of hurting him breaks my heart and I just ended up in tears. I know he and I need to talk about what exactly will happen, but he doesn't want to talk about it. It depresses him to talk about his mission because he doesn't like thinking about all that he is missing out, such as two of my birthdays and two anniversaries, my college graduation, etc. I understand the sacrifices we're both making while he's gone, but am I able to sacrifice our relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment